12/31/2011

Stipula Passaporto fountain pen review


Stipula Passaporto  
(inked with Diamine Raw Sienna)


Stipula Passaporto with Diamine ink in Raw Sienna

Screw on cap and write away


Stipula leaf makes sure that pen doesn't roll off

Fine nib that writes very smoothly

Stipula engraving

Stipula Passaporto unposted

I love this pen, it's a nice writer

Eyedropper for filling and closed
Stipula Passaporto
































































































































































Appearance and handling:
How cute is this was my first thought when I opened the package.
The stipula passaporto is the tiniest pen I own by far. Closed it only measures 9 cm – now that is what I call compact. Absolutely perfect for carrying around in my pocket. This pen really needs to be posted to be used comfortably. I usually don't like to post my pens, but since this one is made for posting, it works well. The cap is simply screwed onto the body and that's it. Nice and easy. When posted the pen looks just like a pen of normal length (12 cm) and feels perfectly balanced this way. I really like the Passaporto, it feels just right in my hand, and I do enjoy the fact that this little pen is a lightweight. For me that is perfect for longer usage. I do like the simple design of the Stipula Passaporto. Watching ink swish around in the clear pen is fun. What still bugs me a little is that the pen doesn't have a clip. I wonder how I am supposed to clip it to my notebooks that way. Maybe I can find a tiny little pen pouch to carry my new favourite around.
A word of advice: do use silicone grease before inking this pen. I didn't do so cause I wanted to use this pen so badly and didn't have any silicone grease around. So I just inked it and had some ink seeping into the grip section. Not a lovely sight on a new pen. This can easily be prevented by using some grease. Luckily the ink could be cleaned out by unscrewing the nib.

Filling System:
The Stipula Passaporto can be used with cartridges or as an eyedropper. It comes with an eyedropper, so it's easy to put ink in. So far I have only used it as an eyedropper and adore it.

Nib:
The steel nib is great. I picked a fine nib and am very happy with it. I find it writes smoothly, smoother than my Sailor fine nibs, but then those are a little finer. Smoothness wise the Stipula Passaporto can be compared to a Pelikan nib. I love writing and drawing with it cause it's so darn smooth. Yummy feel. And I have tried quite a few different papers, I even like it on rougher drawing paper. 

Overall thoughts:
This little pen is my new favourite writer and drawer for that matter. I love the look and feel of it, such an adorable little pen. I can see myself using this pen a lot, already I prefer it to my beloved sailor fountain pens, due to its absolutely smooth nib. I can only recommend this pen, and to me it's well worth it's 65€.

Rating:8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment