2/25/2014

STORIES A HOUSE WOULD TELL





Today I sat quietly, listening to the little squeaks and tiny puffs of this house. There seem to be
very few floorboards that will not give you away when you are trying to tiptoe at night.
Old windows squeak as if they were complaining about their  having to constantly
battle the cold winter wind. Those old and very pretty doors seem to have a mind if their
own, too. Or is it visitors from the past who are silently opening doors when no one 
is looking? The odd occasion even had me wondering where a certain
little something - never seen before - came to stand in a certain place.

So today I spend some time listening. Listening very closely to the sounds around me,
listening to all those squeaks and shuffles...  Beyond all those everyday sounds I might hear 
the story this house has to tell. What if I could simply press my ear to those aged walls and 
I could sink into the depth of its history? All those memories, aged dreams and thoughts
these walls have been home to, just thinking about it makes my head spin.
Makes my head spin and my heat beat a little faster, wishing I could
hear that tiny voice a little louder, so I would get to know these stories.

Today will not be the last day I sat here quietly...


.............................
camera: nikon fm2n
film: kodak tri-x
© nicole sprekelmann

No comments:

Post a Comment